I had an epiphany this morning and boy was it a doozie. For reference, I had a client once that insisted we jam through her photo shoot. She was a doctor and had a very busy schedule. Everything had to be movin, groovin, and out the door.
Looking back on it, from that point forward I began to assume that no one really wanted to be there. They wanted their portrait session with us to be over as quickly as possible. So I began to hustle, overlook important details and settings, hurrying through one of the most important aspects of my work…the transformation.
When it hit me this morning, it was like a truck. Crash! Bang! Boom! I immediately sat down to reflect on what it is that I do as a portrait artist and why I love my work. You see, it’s important to me that I love what I do and while my business is separate from me, I am part of my business so if there is a piston misfiring in the engine of Cat, the engine for the portrait business goes haywire! It was time to really appreciate my work and everything that goes into it and I thought I would share some of that with you today.
- I love getting excited with the client prior to their portrait session
- I love helping to educate the client during our consultation on our process, how to prepare, what to wear, etc.
- I love sketching out the posing maps for each client session. It helps me to solidify where we will go during the session, what we are trying to capture and convey, and keeps me on task when I get excited during the shoot and forget things 😉
- I love shooting on my hand-painted backdrops. I paint them myself, did you know that? I do have an Oliphant on my vision board but in the meantime, I have enough of an eye with a brush to create that lovely background you will see yourself on in our portraiture.
- I love watching my clients enter our hair and makeup room. It is like a Hollywood moment here in our Asheville studio!
- I love seeing my client’s transformation in hair and makeup and then seeing their faces experience it! What woman doesn’t want to feel like her most beautiful self?!
- I love seeing the wardrobe selections that my clients bring for the sessions. Some really EPIC choices and style! I love it! (Gives me shopping ideas too)
- I love shooting. I love creating. I love being excited about getting THE shot! I love laughing during our session together.
- I love giving direction throughout the shoot. Most clients hate being in front of the camera because they don’t feel as they know how to pose, they feel awkward. I love fine tuning each of our movements so that each client looks their absolute best and it gives them reassurance of exactly that! Confidence comes in pretty quickly when you know your photographer is a master poser.
- I love downloading everything into Lightroom for the first time. It’s like Christmas. Seeing it on the back of the camera is only the beginning and doesn’t even begin to do it justice.
- I love retouching the imagery. Another transformation in and of itself and women from all walks of life are my models. It is so gratifying!
- I love printing the images from our photo session together. There is nothing more lovely in my world that having physical prints of my artwork in my hands. There is nothing like it.
- I love matting the portraits too. It is a zen process for me to put the finishing touches on your portraiture.
- I love watching the client walk into the gallery and stand in awe at seeing themselves at their best.
- I love watching them carefully analyze each and every one.
- I love watching them trying to decide on which images they want to take home (it is a tough process, lemme tell ya!)
- I love it when they cry or get excited, because they are so moved at seeing themselves because it means that I DID see them, that I reflected back to them the woman they only hope someone sees, someday. Many times, it is for the first time.
- I love that I am a portrait artist.
For those of you looking for more than a turn and burn snap service, I am your photographer. I am here to give you the experience of your own, most beautiful self and reflect her back to you in portraiture you will cherish.